Busy busy busy
Well, I haven’t had a chance much lately to do any further work on my Ubiety project. I finally got around to making some more changes tonight. I also did some work getting everything IPv6 compatible in libwebsock. It should handle IPv6 address bindings and IPv6 clients just as well as IPv4 ones. I also purchased my SSL certificate for the instance of Ubiety that will run on my VPS. This means traffic to and from the server is encrypted now. The URI used by your browser for connecting to the Ubiety server is wss://ubiety.net. There are both A and AAAA (IPv6) records for ubiety.net, so if you’re surfing IPv6 style, you should have no problems connecting. The work I just did involved persistence while browsing a blog. The way this works is the messages for a channel (website/blog) are recorded on the server side in a history buffer. When a client connects or reconnects, the time of their connection is checked against the channel history and any messages *after* their connection are packaged up in a WebSocket message and sent to the client. The messages are popped into the messages div on arrival. It may be a crude way to do things, but it works for now I guess. The problem is that browsers don’t support persistent WebSocket connections. I can understand why, but it does make persistent applications problematic. I also added a quick window state flag that is stored server side so window state is remembered across page views. I still need to work on handling connection issues and retrying the connection if problems arise. Anywho, I will keep plugging away at this thing until I’m satisfied with it. It’s become a sort of pet project for me.